Monday, October 19, 2009

9 of 52 'CLEAN SINK'


'CLEAN SINK': (23 3/4 L x 20 W x 5 1/2" D) week of October 12th

When I work in my shop I have a ritualistic cleaning before I start each project. I sweep, put tools in their place, shop-vac and straighten up until I feel like I have achieved a blank canvas. This process, for me, clears my head and readies it for the task. Throughout my project I will take time every now and then to sweep. Sweeping for me is like looking into a reflecting pool. The motion relaxes me and brings me into clear thought. Depending on how my work session is going I will either do this a lot or never, but usually when the floors are saw dust free and time has passed the potential to redirect my strategy is in full effect or heading there soon.

The end to this ritualistic maintenance arrives when I finally wash my hands. Once that is accomplished my studio session has usually ended. Often, my hands are filthy and they take a couple good lathers to clean. What happens when my hands are extra dirt laden is the lather from the soap captures all the dirt and grease. Exactly what it should do; however, when no more water is running to rinse away the extra huge amount of foam, lather it eventually dissipates and leaves the sink completely coated in the same dirt and grease which was on my hands. My wife Julie thinks I never wash my hands and this is what happens. For this I always get the “you need to wash your hands more often.” Followed by the “you get to wash the sinks and while your at it wash the toilets too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment